Monday, July 30, 2007

The Ten Commandments

I received an email about a week ago from a friend who passed along an interestingly funny and altogether true-like commentary. The email contained a point-by-point examination (not very academic but full of social reflections) of the Ten Commandments. The original author of the email found it ironic that a few people who fight so honorably for the presence of the Ten Commandments in public places are the very people who either don’t know what the Ten Commandments are or, for whatever reason, do not follow them. I love irony and I couldn’t help but shake my head several times and say, “You know, you have a point.”

And so, wanting to be both clever and share with you, dear reader, the gist of said email, I want to spend a few posts (or more than a few posts) discussing the Ten Commandments, giving my own commentary, and sharing with you their meaning. I may even spend several posts talking about one commandment. Heck, this may be both an ongoing or a somewhat serial discussion. However, I will take each commandment, give my thoughts and commentary, and then open it up for your discussion. Sure, there is bound to be differences of opinion but don’t let that stop you. All in all, I think it will be a good conversation and one that can serve to both educate us as well as pondering the social and spiritual implications that the Ten Commandments offers us.

Look for the first post this week. I haven’t actually started it yet but will do so and post it as soon as I am ready.

No comments: