Sunday, March 22, 2009

Pastor's Health Update

Hi everyone. I am sure by now you know that I have been in the Englewood Hospital. On Wednesday of last week, I came down with serious chest pains both in back and on my front coupled with difficulty breathing. Fearing the worst, Jay took me to the hospital where, after a CAT scan, it was determined that I had a pulmonary embolism. A pulmonary embolism is basically blood clots in the lungs. It's a very serious situation.

I was admitted to the hospital and immediately given strong drugs and was subject to a plethora of tests. I was also told to eat, sleep, and that I'd be there for several days. As it turned out, I was only there until Friday night when I was released. I was told to take it easy for the next few days.

And so that is exactly what I am doing. I go back to the hospital for the results of the various tests this week. The doctors have not been able to discern why I had blood clots. Hopefully they'll find out. In the meantime, I am taking Lovenox injections in my stomach (Ouch!) and am on high doses of Coumadin (a blood thinner). The hemotologist was confident that they'll find a cause for my blood clots and said that I may not have to stay on the drugs indefinately (my doctor, however, wasn't so optimistic and told me to expect to stay on Coumadin for the rest of my life). Who should I believe? Who knows. I don't have enough information yet to make the right kind of decision.

In any event, I am home. If you were in church on Sunday, you'll have noticed I didn't preach. The Rev. Paul Bryant-Smith gave a wonderful sermon and Lauren Vanderwerker, our seminary intern was the liturgist. I'll be back in the pulpit next week.

I would like to thank everyone who has been so kind and thoughtful these past few days. I have been the recipient of such grace and warmth that I feel fortunate to be blessed by such pastoral ministry from the very folks I am called to serve. From Howard baking me meatloaf to Cindy and Mark's generous oatmeal cookies, to Henry and Hattie's chocolate to everyone else coming to visit, to calling me, to texting me (don't you just love technology!), I am very fortunate to serve such wonderful people.

1 comment:

Luke said...

dude! craziness! hope you're feeling better dawg.